You really have to love Ontario weather... especially up here in Ottawa where one week it snowed and just ONE WEEK LATER I was dying of heat stroke out on my run because it was 27 degrees!(That's right around the 80 mark for my Fahrenheit folks).
Don't get me wrong, I love the heat and I love running in the heat but sometimes I need a bit more than 2 days to adjust. I went from my lungs burning during a run because the wind was cold to my skin burning because the sun was hot. Yeah... that's the other problem, I forget about important things like sunscreen during those first few runs. Lesson learned. And an accompanying bout of mega itchy heat rash. Yup, fun times.
Looking back I think every year when the weather turns warm I write a similar post - about how I am only craving cold foods and start to lose my appetite It's strange, it really is the first way my body reacts to the changing temperatures. One major problem with this (both this time of year and right now in particular) is that I'm working out a lot more. Training for the 5k, ensuring my old-lady-hip gets enough yoga, cycling everywhere I can, and I've even joined a softball team. It's great - but there's a delicate balance between being ok that your appetite just isn't there and, you know, fainting :P
Don't worry, no one is in jeopardy of fainting! Mostly my appetite fails me at the end of the day. I'll have breakfast, lunch and snacks no problem. But then I come home, I work out, and shower and before I know it it's 8 or 9 pm and I need to eat! I've just become a bit of a food ninja... working in ways to make sure I'm getting enough fruits, veg, protein, and carbs while not feeling like eating much.
So what are some of my favourites?
Right now #1 has been the Protein Packed Green Monster
1/2 cup cold water
2 cups baby spinach
1/2 frozen banan
1/4 cup frozen mango and pinapple chunks
1 tbsp ground flax
Topped up with vanilla almond milk (about 1/2 cup)
Blend well and enjoy!
This tastes great, has fruit, veg, and protein in it. For the version without protein powder (and with peanut butter) you can find that HERE. Hint: that link also contains a list of ALL the green monster's I've posted.
I'll admit, it's been dinner at least once a week for the past few weeks. I'm trying to use it max 2x a week though. I'm not sure why but the idea of drinking my dinner makes me feel like it's not the healthiest option. Even though it fills me up and is loaded with nutrients, it just feels weird. But, it's PERFECT for a hot night and especially a busy one!
Other warm weather favourites:
- Arugula or spinach salad topped avocado, veggies, trail mix, quinoa, and chicken. So good. Just whip it up in a bowl. I usually top this with some homemade salad dressing that is basically an orange balsamic vinaigrette. Note to self - I should measure and post that recipe sometime :P
- Salad or a side of raw veggies and some smoked salmon. This is a favourite if I've been out grocery shopping.
- Top a salad with a diced up turkey or chicken sausage. This is a great way to get that BBQ taste without all the calories of a pork sausage.
- Sushi - yeah, take it becomes a bit more of an option on those busy nights but sushi always seems like a way to get a fairly balanced meal without going on calorie overload.
- Egg salad or tuna salad on crackers. To lighten up the tuna (ok this doesn't work for egg) I use a fair amount of lemon juice as well as a little mayo. The lemon juice means you don't need as much mayo and it's a very refreshing flavour.
What are your favourite warm weather foods?